Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Suggests Ditching Columbus Day For Election Day Holiday
POLITICS 11/19/2018 04:51 pm ET Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Suggests Ditching Columbus Day For Election Day Holiday The congresswoman-elect is sure that Americans don’t already get enough days off. By Andy McDonald Bloomberg via Getty Images Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has a thought about federal holidays. 5.6k Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , the incoming U.S. representative from New York City, has an idea that could make voting easier: Take Columbus Day off the federal holiday list and replace it with Election Day .
In a tweet Saturday, the progressive Democrat wondered why Columbus Day is a federal holiday while Election Day, when we engage in perhaps our most important civic duty, is not.
Columbus Day, after all, celebrates a man who never actually set foot in what is now the United States and who certainly did not “discover” America.
Daily Mail editor David Martosko tried to make a joke about Ocasio-Cortez “angling for more vacation days” before even beginning her new job.
“While I would disagree with your complaint that Americans get too much vacation time …,” Ocasio-Cortez responded, “I am willing to compromise by eliminating Columbus Day to give Election Day off.”
While I would disagree with your complaint that Americans get too much vacation time (we work some of the longest hours of any dev country & have no Fed required paid leave),
I am willing to compromise by eliminating Columbus Day to give Election Day off.
See? I can be pliant. https://t.co/NITFcBSmxw
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) November 18, 2018 “See?” the soon-to-be congresswoman added. “I can be pliant.”
Ocasio-Cortez also noted that people in the U.S. work some of the longest hours among developed nations and have no federally required paid leave.
Martosko later tweeted, “One of the requirements of public service should be a sense of humor.”
In the past, legislators like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) have introduced bills that would make Election Day a national holiday. But with Republicans in control of the Senate and White House ― and not eager to make it easier to vote these days ― this might be a long shot.
Download Do you have information you want to share with HuffPost? Here’s how.
BEFORE YOU GO Andy McDonald Writer, HuffPost Suggest a correction
18 Awesome Secret Santa Gifts for $20 or Less – Be the envy of your gift exchange with these ideas.
18 Awesome Secret Santa Gifts for $20 or Less Be the envy of your gift exchange with these ideas. 18 Awesome Secret Santa Gifts for $20 or Less Be the envy of your gift exchange with these ideas.
This year, offices across the country will take part in the fun and festive tradition of Secret Santa gift exchanging. Whether you’ve pulled the name of your best buddy from the next cubicle or someone you’ve only said hello to at the water cooler, we’ve got 18 spot-on Secret Santa gift ideas for co-workers, family or friends—all for $20 or less.
And remember, when it comes to the workplace, it’s important to play it safe. No matter how casual your office is, skip the personalized whoopee cushion or highly charged political bumper sticker, and you’ll be fine. Secret Santa Gifts Under $15
1. Bath Bomb Beauty Popper ($7.95) at American Eagle Bath bombs are holding strong as a relaxing must-try. This colorful one from American Eagle looks kind of like a sugary treat! Buy now .
2. Gouda Idea Notepad ($10) at ModCloth Your ideas will be as sharp as aged cheese when written on this 100% dairy-free notepad. Buy now .
3. Mr. Coffee Mug Warmer ($10.99) at Amazon Easy to tote and clean, the resident coffee drinker will love this portable mug warmer. Buy now .
4. Smarty Cat Salt and Pepper Shakers ($6.99) at Bed Bath & Beyond No one likes a smarty-pants. But a cute, smart cat? Sure. Save 20% on one item at Bed Bath & Beyond. Buy now .
5. Calm Retreat Pamper Kit ($9.99) at Ulta Keep calm and treat yo’ self. This travel kit packed with skin-care goodies will have your co-worker feeling Zen. Right now, get $3.50 off purchases of $15 or more at Ulta. Buy now .
6. Holiday Cocoa Mix Gift Pack ($9.99) at World Market Savor the flavor of the holidays with gingerbread, peppermint and dark chocolate flavored hot cocoa—a great Secret Santa gift idea for co-workers who love sweets. Buy now .
7. Owl Ceramic Succulent Cactus Plant ($14.80) at Amazon These tiny succulents are simple yet pretty, and don’t require a green thumb to keep alive on your desk. Buy now .
8. “If You Can Read This” Funny Socks ($10.95) at Amazon These one-size-fits-most cozy socks will go perfectly with your co-worker’s favorite box of chocolate treats. Buy now .
9. Daily Brain Games 2019 Daily Desk Calendar ($14.99) at Kohl’s A calendar that helps keep you up to date—and could make you smarter? Yes, please! Buy now .
10. Shower Shock Caffeinated Soap ($7.99) at ThinkGeek Need an extra kick before the first cup of joe in the morning? Packed with caffeine and peppermint, this invigorating soap will perk your snoozing desk buddy right up—making it one of our top Secret Santa gift ideas for co-workers. Buy now . Secret Santa Gifts $20 and Under
11. Gilded Monogram DOF Glass ($16) at Anthropologie Personalization adds an extra oomph to any gift. Make a mark with this glass featuring an etched initial and gilded rim. Buy now .
12. Rock Solo Bluetooth Karaoke Microphone and Speaker ($19.99) at Barnes & Noble Connect a smartphone to the microphone and bust out your favorite tunes on the go. It’s showtime! Buy now .
13. Rosé All Day Bears ($20 for the large box) at Sugarfina The waitlist for these gummies once had more than 18,000 people on it! Give a sweet toast to your co-worker with this special treat. The bears are infused with real rosé wine. Cheers to that! Buy now .
14. Feisty Pets ($19.99) at ThinkGeek Oh my gosh, this gift is hilarious. Admittedly, not everyone will appreciate these cute-then-scary animals (choose from four kinds), but for the person with a healthy sense of humor, just do it. Buy now .
15. Pinch Provisions Binge-Watching Survival Guide ($20) at American Eagle This is the ultimate Secret Santa gift idea for your Netflix-obsessed co-workers. Make their binge sessions complete with all the essentials, such as socks, coasters, folding forks—and a sofa yoga guide because they’re not going anywhere for a while. Buy now .
16. Bull Snort Hot Sauce 5-Pack Sampler Gift Set ($19.99) at Bed Bath & Beyond These sauces go from tongue-torching to fire in the hole. Buy now .
17. Thermos FUNtainer ($17.95) at Amazon Your favorite lunch pal will enjoy this #fun way to keep their favorite drinks at just the right temp. Buy now .
18. Creative Alchemy ($17) at ModCloth Exercise your creative muscle and explore your mindfulness through different mantras, rituals and experiments. Buy now .
What are your favorite Secret Santa gift ideas for co-workers? Comment and tell us!
Editor’s note: This list was originally published in 2017 but has been updated to feature hot 2018 gifts! By
As Marvel superheroes go, Deadpool’s penchant for hanging ou
Fred Savage explaining some tough truths to Deadpool. Image: Fox As Marvel superheroes go, Deadpool’s penchant for hanging out with regular old humans who lack healing powers mean that his presence is likely to end up getting them maimed or worse. Step aside, Peter . It’s Fred Savage’s time to shine in Once Upon a Deadpool ’s first trailer.
The PG-13 recut of Deadpool 2 will feature much of the film’s original footage but what makes the movie’s upcoming release uniquely interesting is that it seems as if it’ll also feature at least a few new scenes starring one Kevin Arnold, which…sure. Why not? Also notable is that Marvel Studios is reportedly using Once Upon a Deadpool as a kind of test run to gauge how successfully the studio might be able to fold Deadpool into its larger cinematic universe which has always skewed more family-friendly.
Given how Fox’s two successful Deadpool-focused films were praised for their edgy humor and more g raphically adult visuals , it’ll be interesting to see how Once Upon a Deadpool performs at the box office when it hits theaters on December 12.
Edit note : an earlier version of this post included an incorrect date for Once Upon a Deadpool ’s release. It’s been updated with the correct date.
Share This Story